NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
A Russian official accuses Ukraine of launching airstrikes on an oil depot in the border town of Belgorod on Friday despite reports that the attack may have been a false flag operation to further justify Moscow’s brutal assault against Ukraine.
Russian regional governor Vyacheslav Gladkov wrote on Telegram that two Ukrainian helicopters started the fire that broke out at the facility, injuring two workers, according to Reuters.
When asked on Friday who was behind the explosions, Ukrainian Foreign Minister Dmytro Kuleba said he could “neither confirm nor reject the claim that Ukraine was involved simply because I don’t does not have all the military information”.
RUSSIA INVADES UKRAINE: LIVE UPDATES
Ukraine’s Defense Ministry said it was carrying out defensive operations and could not be held responsible for “all disasters on Russian territory”, Reuters reported.
A German journalist also claimed that the General Staff of the Ukrainian Armed Forces denied knowledge of the attack and suggested that it could have been a Russian false flag operation.
Alleged footage of the incident showed what appeared to be missiles fired at low altitude before an explosion, Reuters reports.
The images could not be independently verified.
A witness in the Russian border town later told Reuters another explosion was heard after the initial blast.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Kremlin spokesman Dmitry Peskov said Russian President Vladimir Putin had been briefed on the events and they ‘cannot be perceived as creating comfortable conditions for the continuation’ of peace talks with Ukraine , Reuters also reported.
Peace talks between the two sides resumed on Friday via video link.
Fox News’ Tyler O’Neil contributed to this report.
You Can Read Also