Political masterstroke of Maharashtra crisis, MPs free to switch allegiance: TOI poll | India News

Advertisement


NEW DELHI: MPs are taken to resorts, sulky politicians and photo ops showing a show of force – the political crisis in Maharashtra, sparked by a rebellion within Shiv Sena, has become a national spectacle these last days.
As the media detail the crisis minute by minute, TOI asked its readers what they thought of the crisis and how it was not only about the fall of a government, but also about respecting the mandate of the people. .
Interestingly, respondents were split on what they thought of videos of MPs being rounded up in different states to evade party leaders.
More than 27% of respondents said they were sad about the state of democracy when watching videos of the political crisis on television or on social media, while a roughly equal number of readers have expressed their joy that there is enough freedom of choice in the country.

Around 24% said they felt angry at politicians and 19% felt frustrated as a voter.
The majority of respondents also believed that MPs from Maharashtra (mainly those from Shiv Sena) who traveled first to Surat and then to Guwahati did so of their own volition.

Only 38% said MPs may have been forcibly taken to opposition-run states in order to overthrow the ruling MVA government.
When asked if what was happening in Maharashtra was dirty politics or a political masterstroke, 59% of respondents felt it was the latter. On the other hand, around 41% said the events in the western state were part of “dirty politics/bargaining MPs”.

More than half of respondents (53.4%) believed that the anti-defection law, which prevents elected MPs from changing sides, is still relevant. More than 46% felt the law had lost its relevance since defectors are rewarded in other ways (read haggling).

Respondents were quite clear about respecting the mandate of voters.
More than 72% of those who took part in the poll said voters have the right to recall a representative in case they move to another party since elections are held between parties and on party symbols.

Only around 28% said it was acceptable for politicians to jump ship in case there was a lack of party democracy.
Notably, while most respondents felt that the Maharashtra crisis was not driven by bargaining, a majority said the power of money played an important role in political crises.

About 65% of respondents said ruling party MPs are jumping ship primarily because of the power of money. Conversely, less than 35% believe that it is politics that determines these movements.



You Can Read Also

World News

Advertisement

malek

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.