North Korea says last ballistic missile test was launched from submarine

Advertisement

[ad_1]

KCNA said the submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) was launched from the submarine “8.24 Yongung”, the same vessel used to test North Korea’s first SLBM in 2016.

The report states that “many advanced control guidance technologies” have been included in the missile, which “would go a long way in bringing the country’s defense technology to a high standard and improving the underwater operational capability of our navy. “.

Japan and South Korea reported the launch of at least one ballistic missile on Tuesday, which they said was fired from the sea near the port city of Sinpo in Hamgyong province at around 10:00 a.m. local time on Tuesday. (9:00 p.m. ET Monday). Sinpo is home to a North Korean shipyard.

The UN Security Council will hold a closed-door meeting on Wednesday to discuss North Korea following the latest missile test, a UN diplomat familiar with the meeting told CNN. Pyongyang does not have the right to test ballistic missiles and nuclear weapons under international law.
North Korea's official Korean Central News Agency (KCNA) said a new type of submarine-launched ballistic missile was tested from an undisclosed location on October 19.
Advertisement

Adam Mount, a senior researcher at the Federation of American Scientists in Washington, said North Korea had previously tested only a small number of SLBMs, although it has claimed for several years to have the capability.

Mount said North Korea sees SLBMs as another method to bypass missile defenses of the United States and its allies, especially South Korea and Japan. “They fear that our missile defenses will nullify their deterrent capabilities,” he said.

But Mount added that SLBMs are only as good as the ships that carry them, and that the U.S. military is more than up to the noisy North Korea submarines.

“The weakest link in their submarine missile program is the submarines, and this is a huge technical challenge for the North Koreans,” he said, adding that Pyongyang’s ships were so overwhelming. surpassed that SLBMs were effectively “redundant capability”.

Mixed signals on the Korean Peninsula

North Korea’s missile test on Tuesday came after weeks of unrelenting tension on the Korean Peninsula, which saw increasing cooperation between Pyongyang and Seoul along with the rise of the military scam.

On October 4, Pyongyang agreed to reopen official communications with Seoul for the first time in months. South Korea and North Korea held talks on a joint line of communication on Tuesday shortly before the missile test, an official from South Korea’s Unification Ministry said, but North Korea did not discussed the launch during the call.

North Korea has also ramped up its weapons testing program in recent weeks, including the late September launch of what it claimed to be a new hypersonic missile.

In a statement on Tuesday, the U.S. Indo-Pacific Command said it was aware of North Korea’s latest missile launch and would work closely with regional allies to monitor the situation.

“The United States condemns these actions and calls on the DPRK to refrain from any other destabilizing act,” the statement said, referring to North Korea by its official name. “The commitment of the United States to the defense of (South Korea) and Japan remains foolproof.”

CNN’s Richard Roth and Daniel Allman contributed to this article.

[ad_2]

You Can Read Also

Entertainment News

Advertisement

malek

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *