North Korea reports first COVID death after country implements lockdown

Advertisement


NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

north korean State media reported Friday that six people have died and 350,000 have been treated for a fever after acknowledging a COVID-19 outbreak for the first time since the pandemic began.

Nearly half of the 350,000 people who developed the fever have recovered, according to North Korea’s Central News Agency (KCNA). The nation said it did not know the cause of the fever.

SOUTH KOREA PLANS TO SEND VACCINES TO NORTH KOREA CATCHED BY CORONAVIRUS

On Thursday alone, 18,000 people were found with symptoms of fever.

More than 187,000 people are currently under quarantine, and KCNA said one of the six people who died was infected with the omicron variant.

It is still unclear how many total illnesses were related to the coronavirus.

the World Health Organization (WHO) reports that cases are down worldwide, with the exception of the Americas and Africa.

The agency says North Korea has reported testing of 64,200 people – an extremely low figure compared to other countries.

Last year, North Korea rejected millions of COVID-19 vaccines offered by the United Nations (UN)-backed COVAX distribution program.

NORTH KOREA REPORTS FIRST COVID-19 OUTBREAK AND IMPOSES NATIONWIDE LOCKDOWN

South Korea The president said on Friday that the country would offer to supply vaccines to North Korea, according to reports.

On Thursday, North Korea implemented a nationwide lockdown.

“It is the most important challenge and the supreme task facing our party to reverse the immediate public health crisis situation at the earliest, restore the stability of epidemic prevention and protect the health and well-being -being of our people,” KCNA said, quoting North Korean leader Kim Jong. One as said.

KCNA said Kim also criticized officials, saying the outbreak was centered around the capital of Pyongyang.

The outbreak could be linked to a military parade in April.

Notably, rail freight traffic reopened between North Korea and China in January, although the border has since been closed.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

Hours after North Korea confirmed the outbreak, it launched three suspected ballistic missiles out to sea.

The provocation comes as President Biden prepares to visit South Korea and Japan late next week.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

You Can Read Also

World News

Advertisement

malek

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.