NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Victims of Russia’s war in Ukraine appeared with startling relief when a new satellite image showed the expansion of a cemetery in the vital port city of Mariupol, which Russian forces now control – except of the iconic Azovstal Iron and Steel Works.
A satellite photo from Maxar Technologies revealed the Starokrymske Cemetery expansion on Thursday, May 12, 2022.
“The digging of mass graves by the Russians continues in Mariupol in an effort to cover up war crimes at the Starokrymske cemetery, west of the city,” Foreign Policy magazine’s Jack Detsch noted on Twitter.
The UN High Commissioner for Human Rights claimed on Thursday that Russian forces had killed thousands of Ukrainian civilians in Mariupol since the start of the war, although the “true scale” of the atrocities has yet to be determined. been revealed.
UN SAYS RUSSIAN FORCES IN MARIUPOL KILLED ‘THOUSANDS’ OF CIVILIANS, INVESTIGATIONS REMAIN ON-GOING
“We estimate the civilian death toll in Mariupol to be in the thousands, but it is only over time that the true scale of the atrocities, casualties and damage will become clear,” the High Commissioner said. Curator Michelle Bachelet. “I am shocked by the scale of the destruction and the numerous violations of international human rights law and international humanitarian law that have allegedly taken place in the city.”
The mayor of Mariupol alleged in mid-April that around 21,000 civilians had been killed in the port city during the Russian invasion. But the UN has not been able to validate these figures.
On Thursday, the UN reported that there were 7,326 civilian casualties, 3,541 killed and 3,785 injured across Ukraine.
But the top intergovernmental body has repeatedly warned that those numbers are likely much higher.
Bachelet said the “vast majority” of civilian casualties were caused by Russia’s insistent use of explosive weapons like heavy artillery, multiple rocket launchers, missiles and airstrikes.
UKRAINIAN FIGHTER IN MARIUPOL STEEL SEEKS ELON MUSK FOR HELP
Russian forces have taken all of Mariupol except for the Azovstal factory, where around 1,000 Ukrainian fighters remain in rebellion, holed up in the tunnels under the factory.
Ukrainian and Russian officials said the last women, children and elderly people were evacuated from the factory earlier in the week, but confusion continued over whether all the civilians had been evacuated after two Ukrainian officials estimated on Tuesday that some remained.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
US President Biden, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy and others have accused Russia of committing war crimes after Ukrainians and other visitors discovered corpses in mass graves in Bucha, a town on the outskirts of kyiv, after the Russian withdrawal from the Ukrainian capital.
Fox News’ Caitlin McFall contributed to this report.
You Can Read Also