Lloyd Webber’s Cinderella ‘Heartbroken’ cast banged after show canceled | Ents & Arts News

Advertisement


The cast of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s Cinderella have said they were devastated after being told the show was canceled just before going on stage.

The show tweeted that its London run would wrap up on June 12, less than a year after its debut, with the theater impresario planning a Broadway version for next year.

Many productions have struggled to isolate cast and crew due to COVID, in addition to a long period of being forced to close due to the lockdown.

Carrie Hope Fletcher, who plays Cinderella, hinted that she was furious at how they were told they were losing their jobs.

She tweeted: “I don’t think I have the words. And if I did I would probably be advised not to say them. Sending love to everyone affected by today’s news today and by the way this news was conveyed.”

Picture:
Lord Lloyd Webber said he was ‘devastated’ when Cinderella was forced to take a break due to the Omicron variant earlier this year
Advertisement

Cast members were notified in a message from management shortly before Sunday’s performance, according to entertainment site Deadline.

He reportedly thanked the staff for their “immeasurable contribution” and said there was “deep sadness”, but cited the “incredible challenge” of launching a new show amid the pandemic.

Learn more about Andrew Lloyd Webber

Several actors who were set to take on roles in the coming months also expressed shock.

Summer Strallen tweeted that she found out she had “been fired via social media” after a friend sent her an article.

She posted a moving video of herself reacting to the news.

Bake Off and Strictly Come Dancing star John Whaite was set to take on the role of Prince Charming in July and said the show’s passing was “heartbreaking”, especially for the current cast and crew.

He said on Instagram: “I was lucky enough to watch Cinderella in December 2021 and it was one of the most wonderful musicals I’ve seen in a long time.

“I was so excited to join the cast, it was a lifelong dream come true, but unfortunately it’s not at the moment. Who knows what the future holds – I won’t give up hope. “

In a statement on Sunday, Lord Lloyd Webber told The Stage he was “incredibly proud” of the show.

“Not only has it received some of the best reviews of my career, but we have led the charge to reopen the West End, ensuring live theater and entertainment remains relevant and in the news,” he said. -he adds.

“While putting together a new show in the midst of COVID has been an incredible challenge, we’ve held the government’s feet against the flames throughout their changes of heart during the pandemic.”

Cinderella only premiered in August after being rescheduled for COVID isolation protocols.

At the end of December, Lord Lloyd Webber said he was “absolutely devastated” after being forced to close until February due to disruptions caused by the Omicron variant.

He has repeatedly accused the government of not doing enough to support the theater industry during the pandemic.

You Can Read Also

Latest News

Advertisement

malek

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.