Jussie Smollett maintained his innocence by going to Chicago court on Wednesday, where he faces new charges for his alleged hate crime incident in 2019.
Smollett told Fox News he was innocent entering court, referring to the proceedings he was about to take part in as a “dog and pony show”.
The disgraced former “Empire” actor has been re-charged with six counts of criminal misconduct for allegedly lying to police about a racist and homophobic attack he claims was perpetrated against him. He arrived in court on Wednesday where a judge will hear both sides of the case.
JUSSIE SMOLLETT PURSUES THE CITY OF CHICAGO FOR MALICIOUS PURSUIT
Smollett, who is black and gay, told police at the time of the alleged attack that two masked men attacked him on his way home in the early hours of January 29, 2019. He said he used insults racist and homophobic, beating him and putting a noose around his neck before running away, and that at least one of his attackers was a white man who told him he was in the ” MAGA country, ”a reference to former President Trump’s campaign slogan,“ Make America Great Again ”.
However, brothers Abel and Ola Osundario came forward soon after and told police that the actor paid them $ 3,500 to jump him on a Chicago street in an attempt to raise his notoriety because he was not satisfied with his role in “Empire”. The two brothers were associated with the Fox drama, this is how Smollett knew them.
However, the actor has repeatedly said that Abel and Ola are not telling the truth. He had previously sought to have the second wave of charges dismissed based on their testimony.
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO OUR ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER
Charges regarding the January 2019 incident were initially dropped by the Cook State Attorney’s Office for renewal after a Cook County grand jury returned a six-count indictment accusing him deny.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
He has pleaded not guilty to the charges in the new indictment.
You Can Read Also