Indian Railways is known for its long distance journeys. Trains in India travel from one part of the country to another. However, to make passengers comfortable, Indian Railways has added a dedicated pantry or some trains like Rajdhani also serve food at no extra cost.
What if you don’t want to eat the food that is served on the train and want something to eat like a burger, dosa or Chinese food?
Luckily, you now have the ability to order food online via IRCTCit is e-catering service and have it delivered to the station of your choice directly to your berth.
Sounds interesting, right? Well, here are the steps to order your favorite dish while traveling by train.
What you need to know before using this service
- You will need a confirmed ticket or a standby ticket to reserve the meal as you will need to enter the PNR and train details when ordering the food.
- The online catering service offers the option of paying both online and cash on delivery.
- Currently, the e-catering service is available between 6 a.m. and 10 p.m.
- If the train is delayed and the food is not delivered, a full refund will be provided to users
How to reserve food during the train journey
Currently, there are three ways to order food while traveling by train: by using the online catering website, the Food on Track mobile app and by calling 1323.
Steps to book food using the online catering website
Visit ‘www.ecatering.irctc.co.in and enter the PNR number
Choose the station from the drop-down menu.
After that, a list of all restaurants will appear, choose the one you want to order food from.
Add the food to your cart and proceed to checkout.
A delivery code will be provided to you which you will need to share at the time of delivery
Steps to reserve food using the app
- Download the ‘Food on Track’ app on your smartphone (available on Android and iPhone)
- After that, enter PNR details, choose restaurant and food, make payment
It is wrong to say that food is not charged in Rajdhani type trains, it is chargeable. Details are given in the fare breakdown and this is shown as catering costs. The option to not take food is also there and if chosen, the food costs are reduced from the fare.
You Can Read Also