Mike Richards has retired from hosting “Jeopardy!” following inappropriate comments he had previously made on a podcast.
“Dear Team – It pains me that these past incidents and comments have cast such a shadow on Jeopardy! As we seek to start a new chapter,” he wrote in a statement released by Sony.
“As I mentioned last week, I was deeply honored to have been invited to host the subscribed show and I was delighted with the opportunity to expand my role,” he said. Explain. “However, over the past few days it has become clear that moving forward as host would be too much of a distraction for our fans and not the right decision for the show. As such, I will be stepping down. as a host from now on. As a result, we will be canceling production today. “
‘DANGER!’ HTE MIKE RICHARDS Apologizes FOR PAST COMMENTS HE MADE ABOUT WOMEN ON PODCAST
“SPT will now resume the search for a permanent unionized host,” he continued. “In the meantime, we will be bringing back guest hosts to continue production for the new season, details of which will be announced next week.”
“I want to apologize to all of you for the unwanted negative attention that has been brought to Jeopardy! Over the past few weeks and for the confusion and delays it is causing now,” Richards concluded. “I know I have a lot of work to do to regain your trust.”
The news comes after Richards, 46, apologized for previous comments he made while hosting “The Randumb Show” from 2013 to 2014. He also worked at “The price is right“at the time.
Sony officials told Fox News on Friday that they “supported Mike’s decision to step down as host.”
“We were surprised this week to learn of Mike’s 2013/2014 podcast and the offensive language he has used in the past. We spoke with him about our concerns and expectations for the future,” said Sony in a statement. “Mike has been with us for two years and led Team Jeopardy! Through the most difficult time the series has ever seen. We hope that as an EP he will continue to do so with professionalism and respect. ”
In a statement released to Fox News earlier this week, Richards apologized for his past attempts at “provocation” and vowed to do better in the future.
NEW “JEOPARY! »HTE MAYIM BIALIK REVEALS HOW SHE HONORED HER JEWISH HERITAGE DURING THE FILMING OF THE EPISODES
“It is humiliating to face such a terribly embarrassing moment of misjudgment, recklessness and callousness almost a decade ago,” Richards said in the statement. “Looking back now, there is no excuse, of course, for the comments I made on this podcast and I am deeply sorry.”
Richards went on to explain the context of his comments in his podcast before acknowledging his “obligations as a role model” to do better.
ALEX TREBEK’S LEGACY IS REMEMBERED BY “JEOPARDY! “HOST GUEST MAYIM BIALIK:” A HUGE LOSS “
“The podcast was meant to be a series of irreverent conversations between longtime friends who used to joke around. Even over time, it’s more than clear that my attempts to be funny and provocative were not acceptable, and I deleted the episodes, “the statement continued. “My responsibilities today as a father, husband and public figure who speaks to many people through my role on television mean that I have substantial and serious obligations as a model, and I intend to live up to them. “
The ring uncovered some of the most alarming clips from Richards’ time from the podcast’s 41 episodes in a full report. Several include her making derogatory comments about her co-host and former assistant, Beth Triffon, as disparaging her body and appearance. It was also discovered that he had used slurs on people with intellectual disabilities and small people. Richards also discussed places like Haiti and America’s unemployment system in a derogatory way to the poor.
Episodes of “The Randumb Show” were taken off their original platform earlier this week after the clips resurfaced. This isn’t the only controversy for Richards since “Jeopardy!” appointed him permanent host following the death in November 2020 by Alex Trebek.
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO OUR ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER
He had already been criticized for an incident that occurred more than ten years ago while Richards was at “The Price Is Right”. He was the subject of a complaint in 2010 by Brandi Cochran, a former model on the show, who claimed she was fired after becoming pregnant with twins while he was a co-executive producer. Cochran won over $ 8.5 million in punitive damages.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Fans were eager to find out who would replace the late Trebek on the show after a slew of famous hosts were replaced last season. Richards, who served as the show’s executive producer, was scheduled to take over in season 38 for regular play. The show also appealed to the actress Mayim Bialik to host an upcoming crop of spinoff games and special events such as the upcoming “Jeopardy! National College Championship” at ABC.
The announcement saw Bialik congratulated on her new gig, but fans weren’t too happy to see Richards take on the permanent role of host – and would have preferred to see the guest host LeVar Burton be offered the job.
You Can Read Also