China promises ‘countermeasures’ against US journalists as diplomatic dispute escalates


China is threatening to continue its retaliation against American journalists abroad over allegations that the United States has expelled dozens of Chinese media personnel and denied visas to others.

Chinese Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Hua Chunying issued another warning to the Biden administration on Friday after diplomats from the two countries agreed in March to begin discussing the dispute, according to Bloomberg.

“If the United States deliberately continues to complicate matters for our reporters, then we will have no choice but to take countermeasures, although we have not done so so far,” said Hua during a press briefing. “What happens next will be entirely up to the United States”

KERRY SAYS SOLAR PANEL PRODUCTION IN CHINA PRESENTS A ‘PROBLEM’ FOR US CLIMATE STRATEGY

In September last year, while former President Donald Trump was still in office, Beijing said the United States had expelled more than 60 Chinese media personnel and denied visas to at least 20 others, while shortening the length of visas issued to those already within U.S. borders, Bloomberg reported.

Hua also said earlier this week that a reporter from the state-run Xinhua News Agency recently returned home because his US visa had not been extended, according to Bloomberg.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

At the same time, since September, Beijing has been delaying the renewal of 12-month press credentials for US media working in China, issuing only three-month residence permits instead, according to the outlet.

“If the United States corrects its mistakes, we will provide you with better comfort and better service, but it is the best we can do to show you our goodwill, which you should cherish,” Hua said.

You Can Read Also

World News

malek

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *