NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Celebrity chef Mario Batali’s sexual misconduct trial begins in Boston on Monday, following a delay caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
Batali’s accuser claims she was taking photos of him at a Boston restaurant in 2017 when he invited her to take a picture together. At that time, she alleges that he touched her without her consent and then forcibly kissed her.
The famous Italian chef was later charged with indecent assault and assault.
BOSTON JUVENILES WIDE DAYLIGHT BEARING A WOMAN WAITING TARGET FOR THE RACE, HAIRDRESSING CAPTURED ON VIDEO
While the former ‘Iron Chef’ star pleaded not guilty to the charges in 2019, he said the alleged actions “fit” his behavior at the time.
“I made a lot of mistakes and I’m so sorry for disappointing my friends, my family, my fans and my team,” he said at the time, The Associated Press reported. “My behavior was wrong and there is no excuse. I take full responsibility.”
BOSTON JUVENILES ‘TERRORISING’ DOWNTOWN ARRESTED BUT AVOID HARSH PUNISHMENTS DUE TO AGE, CRIMINAL JUSTICE REFORM
His attorney previously said the 2019 allegation was “baseless”.
Immediately after the allegations surfaced in 2017, Batali quit active management of his restaurants and quit his cooking shows.
Batali will appear in Boston City Court on Monday and could face up to 2.5 years in prison if convicted. A guilty conviction would also require Batali to register as a sex offender.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Last year, Batali, his business partner, and their New York restaurant business settled with the New York Attorney General’s office, after a four-year investigation into allegations of misconduct between restaurant management and their employees, and agreed to pay $600,000.
The Associated Press contributed to this report.
You Can Read Also