Bill Cosby’s sudden and swift release from prison drew a reaction from many, including those who accused him of sexual misconduct.
The 83-year-old has been charged by around 60 women with sex crimes ranging from misconduct and bodily harm to assault and beyond.
The Pennsylvania Supreme Court surprised many on Wednesday by overturning the star’s criminal conviction after serving more than two years of his three to 10-year sentence.
While Hollywood stars were quick to react to the news, some of the disgraced actor’s accusers have voiced their opinion on the matter as well.
BILL COSBY ACCUSATOR ANDREA CONSTAND SPEAKS OUT AFTER HIS CONDEMNATION HAS BEEN BROUGHT: ‘DISAPPOINTING’
“Looking at my newborn granddaughter, it’s tragic to think that after all these decades of empowering women, the system would allow a rapist like Bill Cosby to roam free,” Carla Ferrigno told Fox News in a press release. “He doesn’t deserve to be out there and see these poor women suffer from lack of responsibility and knowing that they, and their trauma, are not valued in the eyes of the law.”
Janice Dickinson told Entertainment Tonight: “I’m angry. I’m angry that they let him out for a procedure. That’s basically all I have to say. I can’t get into the Legal jargon about it. I can only speak from my heart and say that the statute of limitations is not fair. It just is not fair. “
“This morning when I got up and got out of bed my friend Stephen Lenehan gave me a call and he said to me, he said, ‘I’ve got some bad news’ “, she continued. “And I was getting ready for a hurricane or something, and he said, ‘Cosby got out of jail. “… First of all, [I felt] so mad. So mad. Second, I felt like I had been kicked in the stomach, in the abdomen, by a psychic blow. “
The representative of the deceased accuser Louisa Moritz shared a statement on social media, stressing that the actor was “NOT FOUND INNOCENT” but had instead been “released for a technical detail”.
Andrea Constand, whose lawsuit put Cosby behind bars, posted a statement on Twitter, saying she found the court’s decision “disappointing” and said it could “discourage” others from reporting the predators suspected sexual intercourse.
“Once again, we are grateful to the women who have stepped forward to tell their stories, to prosecutor Kevin Steele and the excellent prosecutors who secured a conviction at trial, despite the end result of procedural technicality, and we urge all victims to make their voices heard, “the statement read in part.” We have no intention of making any further comments.
Patricia Steuer, who previously accused Cosby of drugging and assaulting her twice, said she was “a little stunned” by the upset as she braced herself for such an eventuality.
“I feel sad because it’s absolutely a perceived loss on my part,” she said, according to The New York Times. “I wonder what the 43-year-old ordeal I went through was.”
BILL COSBY’S DECISION COULD HAVE A COOLING EFFECT ON SURVIVORS, SAY LAWYERS FOR SEXUAL ASSAULT VICTIMS
However, Steuer, 65, said she found solace in knowing that she and her fellow accusers “did the only thing we could” by coming forward.
Victoria Valentino said ABC News that she was “absolutely shocked” by the overturning of the conviction and said that her “stomach was turning”.
Another accuser, Janice Baker Kinney was talking at the point of sale and said she was “shocked” that “a little legal jargon could turn this around when so many people have come forward, so many women have spoken their truth.”
“I am deeply moved by the injustice of all of this,” she said. “He’s a sociopath. He’s a serial rapist.”
Eden Tirl told NBC she felt “completely out of breath” and denounced the statute of limitations, which limited the number of women who can officially prosecute the star for her alleged crimes.
The outlet also spoke to Heidi Thomas, who said the decision came “out of the blue” because the star “was denied parole for not participating in any sexual assault program.”
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Sammie Mays told TMZ she found the outing “disrespectful and contemptible” while Sarita Butterfield echoed the sentiments and Angela Leslie said she was “surprised and shocked”.
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO OUR ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER
“It seems the justice system served the criminal, in this case, rather than the victims,” Leslie added.
According to the Daily Mail, accuser Beth Ferrier said the overthrow does not prove Cosby to be innocent.
Fox News’s Stephanie Nolasco contributed to this report
You Can Read Also