Ashleigh Barty stunned by Karolina Muchova in Australian Open quarter-finals



The 24-year-old Czech made an incredible comeback to win 1-6, 6-3, 6-2 over Rod Laver Arena to reach her first career Grand Slam semi-final.

After her victory, the No.25 seed said she was making a childhood dream come true with her run for the Australian Open.

“In fact, I have a memory from here when I was a child and got my first notebook,” Muchova told reporters afterwards.

“I set it as my Rod Laver wallpaper, the stadium. I was just, like, I hope someday it would be nice to play there or watch the arena or whatever. Now , I just won a game and made it to the semi-finals. It’s amazing. “

READ: Serena Williams overcomes Simona Halep to stage hit Australian Open semi-final with Naomi Osaka
Muchova serves in her match against Barty.

At home, it was Barty who, unsurprisingly, perhaps came out of the blocks the fastest, taking a 5-0 lead in just 16 minutes, winning 20 of the first 26 points.

Muchova has at least won one match in that opening set, though she couldn’t find a way to stop resilient Barty from winning the opening set.

After Barty extended his lead to 2-0 in the second set, he looked like fans – they will be allowed to watch games from Thursday at the tournament after a five-day Covid-19 ‘breaker’ lockdown imposed by the state of Victoria the government comes to an end – would be able to watch their Australian compatriot in the semi-finals.

However, a nearly 10-minute medical timeout for Muchova seemed to galvanize the Czech.

“I started to feel a bit lost at the end of the first set. Ash started very well, she played almost without mistakes, it was very difficult. And I was a bit lost on the court, and my my head was spinning (with dizziness) so I took a break, ”Muchova explained.
Muchova plays a backhand against Barty.

“They just checked my (blood) pressure because I was kinda confused, you know?” I was rotating. So they chilled me a bit with ice cream, and that helped me.

“(When I came back I) just tried to put a ball in and go in there. I played a little faster, going to the net. I think that was the key in the end. “

After the break Barty struggled to regain his rhythm and Muchova took advantage, winning 12 of the last 15 games.

During her post-match press conference, the Australian admitted she was “frustrated” at letting the medical break disrupt her momentum, but stressed that she was not frustrated by the rules that allowed his opponent to take a break.

“I don’t write the rules. I don’t write the rules. I respect them. All of us players, we respect the written rules,” said Barty.

“It’s not for me to say here whether or not she was injured. They are physiotherapists and doctors.

“Obviously, she took her medical downtime meant there was something wrong. She was on the rules, on the guidelines for taking that time.”

World No.27 Muchova is now 8-0 in 2021 and made comebacks with his trademark style in Melbourne.

She lost 5-0 in the second set to No.6 seed Karolina Pliskova and 4-0 in the first set to No.18 seed Elise Mertens.

“I felt like I had small windows of opportunity probably halfway through the second set and I couldn’t pull myself together enough to be clear in the third set how I wanted to play,” Barty said. . “I think I got lost a bit, which is definitely disappointing.

“I felt like I was in control. I knew how I wanted to go about it, I just got lost a bit.”

Muchova will now face US Open semi-final Jennifer Brady on Thursday, with the winner set to make her first major final.

Brady beat compatriot Jessica Pegula 4-6, 6-2, 6-1 on Wednesday.
Barty hits a comeback against Muchova.

Go under the knife

Sofia Kenin’s bid to defend her Australian Open title ended in disappointment last week after being knocked out of the tournament by world No.65 Kaia Kanepi.
And in an Instagram post on Wednesday, the American revealed she suffered from acute appendicitis and had surgery on Monday, February 15.

“I went to the tournament doctor’s office on Monday February 15 with severe abdominal pain,” she explained. “I was evaluated by the tournament doctor and referred to the hospital for further evaluation. Acute appendicitis was diagnosed after the completion of my CT scan. I had to have surgery and my appendix was removed Monday February 15th from Epworth Hospital in Richmond The surgery went well and without any complications, I am now trying to recover from the surgery and deal with the pain.

Visit for more news, features and videos

“Unfortunately, I won’t be able to play for a few weeks as I need to take some time to recuperate so I have withdrawn from my next tournaments. I want to thank everyone at Epworth Hospital Richmond for taking good care of me! want to thank the AO medical staff for helping me!

“I can’t wait to fully recover and compete again and see you guys again.”


You Can Read Also

Politics News



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *