Ryan Reynolds lobbied the not-so-subtle push for LeVar Burton to be the next host of “Jeopardy!” after the release of Mike Richards.
Richards, who was announced last week as the new permanent host of the popular game show alongside Mayim Bialik, resigned his post after inappropriate comments he had previously made on a podcast resurfaced and sparked the controversial.
Now, as the series scrambles again to find a replacement for Alex Trebek, who died in November 2020 after a long battle with stage 4 pancreatic cancer, Reynolds has apparently taken to Twitter to lend his support to the favorite of the fans, Burton.
Pretending it was nothing, Reynolds took to Twitter and recalled a time in his career when he was preferred to be the first person to bring a comic-accurate version of the Marvel character. “Deadpool” on the big screen, long before his immensely successful debut in 2016. However, shouting Burton at the end of the tweet, he clearly wanted to compare the situation to pressure for Burton to be the new host.
ALEX TREBEK’S LEGACY IS REMEMBERED BY “JEOPARDY! “HOST GUEST MAYIM BIALIK:” A HUGE LOSS “
“Fairly regularly from 2013 to 2015, Deadpool was exploding on Twitter with fans who wanted me to play him. It was embarrassing because I agreed with them but the studio didn’t see it. , the fans won and the rest is a glorious story. I’m ‘I’m forever grateful’, Reynolds wrote. “Hi @levarburton.”
Burton responded with two praying hands emojis and a heart, but did not develop further. However, the “Reading Rainbow” and “Star Trek: The Next Generation” actor has long been a fan favorite to become the new man behind the podium. In fact, a fan petition has been signed by more than 257,000 people asking that he be the man to fill the huge shoes left by Trebek after his death in November 2020.
Burton responded to fans’ requests to make him the new host on several occasions before he was selected as one of the many guest hosts for the quiz show before Richards was announced as the new permanent replacement. . However, now all that is up in the air like “Jeopardy!” the executive producer resigned on Friday.
“Dear Team – It pains me that these past incidents and comments have cast such a shadow on Jeopardy! As we seek to start a new chapter,” he wrote in a statement released by Sony.
“As I mentioned last week, I was deeply honored to have been invited to host the subscribed show and I was delighted with the opportunity to expand my role,” he said. Explain. “However, over the past few days it has become clear that moving forward as host would be too much of a distraction for our fans and not the right decision for the show. As such, I will be stepping down. as a host from now on. As a result, we will be canceling production today. “
NEW “JEOPARY! »HTE MAYIM BIALIK REVEALS HOW SHE HONORED HER JEWISH HERITAGE DURING THE FILMING OF THE EPISODES
“SPT will now resume the search for a permanent unionized host,” he continued. “In the meantime, we will be bringing back guest hosts to continue production for the new season, details of which will be announced next week.”
“I want to apologize to all of you for the unwanted negative attention that has been brought to Jeopardy! Over the past few weeks and for the confusion and delays it is causing now,” Richards concluded. “I know I have a lot of work to do to regain your trust.”
The news comes after Richards, 46, apologized for comments he made while hosting “The Randumb Show” from 2013 to 2014. He was also working on “The Price is Right” at the era.
Sony officials told Fox News on Friday that they “supported Mike’s decision to step down as host.”
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO OUR ENTERTAINMENT NEWSLETTER
“We were surprised this week to learn of Mike’s 2013/2014 podcast and the offensive language he has used in the past. We spoke with him about our concerns and expectations for the future,” said Sony in a statement. “Mike has been with us for two years and led Team Jeopardy! Through the most difficult time the series has ever seen. We hope that as an EP he will continue to do so with professionalism and respect. ”
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
In a statement released to Fox News earlier this week, Richards apologized for his past attempts at “provocation” and vowed to do better in the future.
You Can Read Also